Monday, July 24, 2023

CSHP - Colonel Allensworth

 
Located 30 miles north of Bakersfield, the Colonel Allensworth State Historic Park tells the story of a group of people who set out the create their own "American Dream."  They  filed a town plan in 1908 after years of planning.  Although initially a success the death of Colonel Allensworth in 1914, the cost of water and the failure of a vocational school slowed the settlers dream.  But the town did persist and became known as "the town that refused to die."


I don't remember exactly why I stopped here back in 2018.  I think a quilt store tour had taken me far afield.  I'm not sure I would go way out of my way to get there, but the restored buildings were interesting and the thought of setting up that ideal town out here in basically desert area is fascinating.



 Colonel Allensworth State Historic Park

Baptist Church



Allensworth Hotel



 

Cash Store

Free Library

Stockett House

Friends of Allensworth

No comments:

Post a Comment