Friday, November 8, 2019

NHS - Fort Point



I started out planning to join  a City Guides walk across the Golden Gate.....but crowds are never my thing and it was looking crowded...so I walked from the bridge down to Fort Point. It was a grand day and a wonderful hike!!!



Fort Point, built between 1855 and 1863 by the US Army Corps of Engineers, was designed to protect the city's commercial and military installations from foreign attacks.




There is a small lighthouse on top of one of the fort's staircases.  Standing 28 feet high, it was built in 1863.  It was the third lighthouse on the site.  I will be honest I didn't see it at first, it is barely visible to the hiker.  But looking at pictures from our Bay to Bridge hike in 2014, I found a great picture of it,


Bay to Bridge Hike 2014




The websites below outline the history of both the fort and the lighthouse....but only walking will give you the feel for the area!!











NPS - Fort Point National Historic Site
Fort Point - Wikipedia





Pictures 2019 CAT












Roof of Fort Point- Taber #2811

No comments:

Post a Comment