Friday, March 15, 2019

CSP - Emerald Bay



1954
1956/ 1957

Growing up we visited Tahoe a few times, camping in the Emerald Bay area.  One learned to stay up on water skis quickly as the water was so cold.  Tahoe is over 6000 feet above sea level and 1645 feet deep.  It is the largest alpine lake in North America and the second deepest in the United States.


Like most of the camping trips we took before leaving China Lake and Dad getting too busy to take them, I remember little about the trips to Tahoe.  But I believe the picture here with Maura would be when I was five....it looks very similar to my fifth birthday picture.  

I remember another trip, this one was in 1962 and Great Uncle Tom was visiting.  I'm pretty sure it was just a day trip, I can't imagine that we camped.

Although we visited Tahoe many times after I was married, we never did camp there, instead gravitating towards more remote spots in the state.





Trail Posts: A Literary Exploration of California's State Parks - In his book Roughing It  Mark Twain describes an effort to stake a claim on the shores of Tahoe.


No comments:

Post a Comment